Monday, January 31, 2011

Chapter 10 - jan 2010 - scattering ashes at hatteras (trip 1)

©2011 Tom Weathers


The site of the old lighthouse - where we scattered Brenda's ashes.

Yancie, Randy, Allie, Evan and I went to Buxton on January 1, 2010. I don't remember much - how we arranged passengers in our cars, if we stopped at Carborro on the way over or met Henry and Grace on the island.

I remember that things were odd. That hasn't changed.

I remember that it was cold.

We scattered Brenda's ashes at the site of the old Hatteras lighthouse. I stood in the center of the circle of stones, scooping up handfulls of the dry powder which was blown by the cold wind into the morning sun. Yancie did one handful. Some of that powder whirled back to brush her face.

My sister's ashes were scattered here in the winter of 2000. She and Brenda always liked one another so we imagined that Mickey would welcome Brenda to this place. (A storm blew through the night that Mickey died. I imagined that nature reflected her passage - that she was being welcomed by the wind warriors into the afterlife - that she would become one of them.)

Randy, Yancie's husband was there as was Henry, my sister's husband. Henry's wife Grace stayed with Allie and Evan and helped Allie write a story about how the wind tossed her hat into the ocean when she and I were walking by the ocean.

Henry believes in the possibility of reincarnation which might explain the eight feral cats who greeted us one night in the motel parking lot on our way back from dinner. One of the cats was likely possessed by Brenda and another by Mickey. A little tomcat (possessed by nobody) with a wounded face followed me to my room where I gave him left-over fish.

Snapshots

What the surf giveth...


The surf taketh away.


Muted early morning colors.


Allie pretending to be blown over in the cold wind. A few minutes later her cap was blown away, into the ocean we think.


Evan at the Island Perks Diner across the road where we ate most of our meals. He is playing on somebody's Iphone.


Allie playing on another Iphone

This was Sunday morning before taking the long ride back to Gastonia. Oddly I don't remember anything else. How often we stopped - where. What the children did.

Yancie's Notes

I am leaving space for Yancie's notes - she remembers more of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment